Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sentimental Sundays...

Okay Mom, here is my first post for our new sentimental Sundays. Granny had this idea which I think is a good one, but I have pregnancy memory and it has made it hard for me to think of one particular anything to share. But I'll give it a shot and know that maybe it'll open up the brain flow for next time...

Today after our most sacred nap time (a Sunday must) me and the kids decided to make homemade donut holes for a fun treat and leftovers for breakfasts. Cooking in the kitchen with the kids reminded me of all of the different things that Mom and Nana and Grandma were always making in the kitchen, whether it was for us kids or with us kids. Grandma always made the best cookies and her cookie jar actually had cookies in it at all times. And she makes the best chicken fried steak and I loved Sunday dinners at her and Papa's house. She also had a pantry full of candy because she worked for a distributor I think back then and when we would visit sometimes she'd let us pick something off of the shelf before leaving. Her and Papa always made us peanut butter and jelly toast for breakfast when we stayed the night. Nana was always making us something yummy too... from homemade waffles (the huge square kind) to really good soups and casseroles and pizza and baked everything!!!!!! She used to buy the huge 5 gallon tubs of vanilla ice cream from Thrifty (I think) and we would have ice cream sundaes with chocolate and nuts twice a day sometimes. And, I remember pickle and cheese sandwiches for a late night snack on homemade wheat bread. I still love those and not because I'm pregnant, ANYTIME!!! And one of the things she used to do is with the left over chocolate frosting when she frosted a cake, she'd put the frosting in between graham crackers to make little sandwich treats. I could go on and on and on!!! My mom has always been a great cook also and I love her lasagna the best. Every year for our birthday she let us pick our favorite dinner and that was always mine! I love her mac and cheese, swiss steak, brocolli soup, cauliflower and cheese sauce, fried chicken, meatloaf, cookies, chocolate nutty delight, etc., etc., etc.

Wow, can you tell I've got food on the brain??? Anyway, one funny story about cooking something when Mom was gone one day and me and Tawna were in charge. I think our cousin Ali was over and we were living in Mesa on Dewberry Sreet which is over off of ValVista and about broadway I think. We wanted to make chocolate milkshakes and thought we knew what we were doing. Boy were we wrong. First of all we didn't have any ice cream or chocolate sauce or milk as far as I can remember. Aren't those all necessary ingredients??? So we made them out of chocolate chips (since there were always plenty of those around, right Mom?) water and ice. YUCK!!! Sounds gross and I am sure it was, but the mess we made was apparently astronomical because Sherry flipped her lid when she came home to this chaos!!! I don't recall all of the consequences or the freak out but I do remember butter and some silver ware being thrown around the kitchen during the rage directed at us and our bad choice that day!!! I commend her for not seriously hurting one of us because now that I am a Mom I tremble to think of the first time I walk in to that kind of disaster and how I will handle it!!!

Thanks for not beating us Mom!!!!! We really were bad sometimes!!! I am sure that when you and Dad hear me telling my kids about how when they are all grown up with their own kids I am going to visit them and laugh and laugh because their kids won't mind them like they didn't mind me, you guys are laughing inside hysterically!!!

4 comments:

Jacque said...

That brings back a flood of memories for me....not just my kids doing it to me, but what I did to my Mom. Of course, we didn't get away with very much! But, I do remember one time....go to my blog to read about it!

Our Grand Central Station said...

There was only one fork stuck in the wall, but the butter was soft when I threw it, so that was hard to clean up. Man, it went everywhere. You know, looking back, I'm sure the mess was upsetting, but underneath all that was the fear that hands would have gotten in the blender and stuff that would have really hurt. After reading Jacque's blog I remembered the time you and Tawna tried to make popcorn with a babysitter in charge. I don't know what you told the babysitter, but I came home to a huge mess in the kitchen. Fun, Fun, Fun.

5 Frogs and a Princess said...

LOL! Taya, Boy was I ever there! Isn't it funny how dramatic everything seems at the time and then looking back it makes for the best laughs! I wasn't prepared for this "sentimental sunday" but my mom better watch out cause as she knows we all have stories!

bekki said...

That was so great. I bet your mom was so mad. i am sitting here laughing just thinking about you two thinking yu are doing a great job and your Mom very mad