We got a phone call from Aunt Heidi on a Saturday night a couple of weeks ago about Oma & Opa being in a kitchen accident and being burned pretty badly. She and Bryce happened to be there for dinner and they were making crab. Somehow the steam burned both of them pretty good and I think hot water burns as well. Heidi had Oma get into the shower and get her clothes off of her and wrapped her in a sheet as she got the most of it all. She was burned on her neck, chest, stomach, arms, and legs I believe. Opa was also burned on his chest, stomach, hands, thighs and a knee I think. When Heidi called Oma was being air lifted to the Maricopa Medical Center in downtown phoenix and Opa was in an ambulence on his way as well. It is supposed to be the best burn unit around I guess. Kevin didn't go to the hospital that night as it was late and he was a little sick and needed to stick close to home. He went the next morning and spent most of the morning and into the afternoon there. Oma has second and third degree burns and Opa has first and second??? I know that they were pretty much out of it for a couple of days to a week by being kept on pain medication since burns are so painful. They were on different floors which makes me so sad because I know that would be hard to be going through and feel like your sweetie wasn't able to be close by. Kevin has been in and out of town this month due to business and hasn't gotten to visit as much as he'd like, but calls to check in with Heidi or me or calls Oma on her phone. She has days where she can talk and days not. Opa got to go home last week and Heidi and Bryce are taking excellent care of him. Thank goodness they live close by! I know the ward has been good to bring in dinners for them and doing what they can as well. Kevin and I got to go by on a Friday after I picked him up at the airport and see Oma for about an hour, but she was sooooo sleepy. We told her we'd be back as soon as possible with pictures to decorate her room with! She has had 2 skin graft surgeries so far and having a 3rd this Wednesday the 10th. We all talked on the phone yesterday with her and she sounded the best I've heard her so far. That was nice to hear!!! Kids 12 and older are allowed in, but that leaves most of ours out. So, Kaitlin and I will go visit on Thursday hopefully and Kevin and I will go back Friday and Sunday and spend some time. We MISS them so much and I know that Lauren especially misses her Oma and doesn't understand.
Please keep them in your prayers that they can recover from this and move forward. I think Oma will be in the hospital for another few weeks??? And, even after she's released she'll have lots of doctors around for awhile and physical therapy... at the least.
We love you guys and know we think of you SO much everyday. I just wish there were more we could do...
2 comments:
the best thing you can do now is pray.
Glad that Opah is out and recovering well. It is great that Oma's surgeries went well and she is doing so much better in the hospital. Every time I think about those burns I just can't stand it. I remember Grumpy's when the radiator blew up and mine in Okinawa when we had to boil all our water there. Those weren't nearly as bad as Oma's. She is in our prayers.
Post a Comment